Assoc Prof Salma Ismail
Interests: communities in development, focusing on women, land and housing, active citizenship and participation; social history of youth in resistance; adult learning and teaching; policy research and curriculum development.
Refereed Self Authored Book
- Ismail, S (2015) The Victoria Mxenge Project- women building communities through social action and informal learning. Cape Town: UCT Press/ Juta.
- Ismail, S (2015) ’Equity and Education’ James D. Wright, Editor-in-Chief, International Encyclopedia of Social & Behavioral Sciences 2nd Edition. Oxford: Elsevier Ltd.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Ismail, S. (2014 ‘Contested Cultures of Knowledge’ – identifying challenges to include experiential knowledge into the academy. Postcolonial Directions in Education Vol 3: 2, Special issue: Adult Literacy and Adult Education. Pp 292-324.
- Ismail, S. (2011) ‘Researching Transformation at a South African university -ethical dilemmas in the politics of representation’. In Studies in Higher Education Vol 35 (3) Pp 275-289.
- Ismail, S. (2009) ‘Popular pedagogy and the changing political landscape’ – a case study of a women’s housing movement in South Africa. In Studies in Continuing Education in Journal Issue 31(3) Pp 121-127.
- Ismail.S (2007) ‘Did I say that?’ – A follow-up study of the shifts in black and women staff experiences of institutional culture in the Health Science Faculty of the University of Cape Town. In special issue of Social Dynamics on Transformation in Higher Education - Vol 33(1), June 2007. Pp 78-106.
Chapters in Books
- Ismail, S. (2012) ‘Holding onto transformative practices in a university: musings of a feminist popular educator’. In “Feminist Popular Education in Transnational Debates: Building pedagogies of Possibility”.Manicom, L. and Walters, S. (eds) Palgrave Macmillan, New York. Pp177-191.
- Ismail, S. & Cooper, L. (2011). 'Resistance from the periphery?’ A case study of attempts to widen access to adult learners at a South African university. In International Perspectives in Higher Education Research, Tight, M. and Thomas, L. (eds) Vol 6. Emerald Press, UK. Pp29-40.