- Spencer-Smith, G. & Hardman, J. (2014). "The impact of computer and mathematics software usage on performance of school leavers in the Western Cape Province of South Africa: a comparative analysis." IJEDICT, 10 (1).
- Hardman, J., & Mpofu, E. (2013). Cultural-historical activity theory. In K. D. Keith (Ed.), The encyclopedia of cross-cultural psychology, Vol. I (pp. 338-341). Chichester, UK: Wiley.
- Hardman, J. (2012) Child and adolescent development in South Africa: A socio-cultural perspective. Hardman, J (Ed): Cape Town: Oxford University Press. Including the following chapters:
- Hardman, J. (2012) Basic Concepts in Developmental Psychology;
- Hardman, J. (2012) Theories of development;
- Soudien, C. & Hardman, J (2012). Children and violence in South Africa;
- Stroud, L, Hardman J, & Harrison, G (2012) Early Childhood development.
- Hardman, J. (2011) The developmental impact of communicative interaction . In Derek Hook, Bradley Franks and Martin Bauer (eds.) pp.25-45. Communication, Culture and Social Change: The Social Psychological Perspective. Palgrave: London
- (In press) Researching pedagogy in disadvantaged schools in South Africa: An Activity Theory approach. Critical Social Studies.
- Variation in semiotic mediation across different pedagogical contexts. Education as Change. 14(1): 91-106, 2010.
- Researching pedagogy: An activity theory approach. Journal of Education. 45:63-93, 2008