Assoc Prof R Siebörger
Emeritus Associate Professor
Interests: History education; curriculum development; materials development; assessment.
Articles in Public History Weekly
- Fake News, Alternative Facts, History Education, https://public-history-weekly.degruyter.com/5-2017-8/fake-news-alternative-facts-and-history-education/ March 02, 2017
- A Musical as Public History: “District Six” https://public-history-weekly.degruyter.com/4-2016-22/music-public-history/ . June 16, 2016
- Defining History as a School Subject https://public-history-weekly.degruyter.com/4-2016-1/defining-history-school-subject/ . January 21, 2016
- Rhodes must fall! Anatomy of a Protest https://public-history-weekly.degruyter.com/3-2015-18/rhodes-must-fall-anatomy-of-a-protest/ . June 04, 2015
- What heritage day? https://public-history-weekly.degruyter.com/2-2014-39/heritage-day/ November 13, 2014
History education research and links
- Statement by the South African Society for History Teaching on the appointment of the History Ministerial Task Team to oversee the implementation of compulsory history in the Further Education and Training schools http://sashtw.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/History-task-team-SASHT-statement-November-2015.pdf .
- The dilemmas of textbook selection – the Department of Education’s 2007 screening of Grade 12 History textbooks – A case study http://sashtw.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/YT-14-DEC-ISSUE.pdf . Rob Siebörger. Yesterday & Today, no 14, December 2015: 41-57
- The challenge to be “evidence-based” in history teaching and curriculum design. Rob Siebörger. 2016. SASHT Conference, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, 6-7 October
- What should history teachers know? Assessing history students at the conclusion of the PGCE year.
Rob Siebörger. Yesterday & Today, no 11, July 2014: 133-147.
- A reply to Peter Kallaway: ‘History in High School 2012: A comment. Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement. History Grades 10-12.
Rob Siebörger. School of Education, University of Cape Town seminar, 9 May 2012.
- Turning Points in History Activities for CAPS History. Grade 7 – Grade 12. Cape Town: Institute for Justice and Reconciliation. Rob Siebörger and Penny Berens 2012.
- What makes a history exam?
Rob Siebörger. Article in the Cape Times, 27 January, 2011, under the title 'Examining exams: History is not what it used to be.'
- ‘More or less democracy?’ The responses of Grade 9 pupils to a survey conducted at the time of the fourth democratic election in South Africa
History Educators’ International Research Network Conference, University of Ulster, Coleraine, 14-16 September 2009 and South African Society for History Teaching Conference, Crawford College, Johannesburg, 25-26 September 2009.
Rob Siebörger, 2009.
- Teaching about families: Ideas for Primary School Teachers
Booklet published by the Primary History Project (1996) [now out of print] of which I was co-director, on what and how to teach about families and family trees.
- Owning up to the past
South African Society for History Teaching Conference, University of Cape Town, 26-27 September.
Rob Siebörger, 2008. The start of a reflection on the influence of my past and identity on my role as a history educator.
- Don't deprive pupils of chance to study history
Rob Siebörger. Article in the Cape Times, 12 June 2008.
- Turning Points in Human Rights Teacher's Guide Activities
Activities contained in Rob Siebörger (2008)Teacher's Guide to the Turning Points in Human Rights series of books published by STE Publishers, Johannesburg, for the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation.
- Integrating Human Rights and History Teaching: Workshop materials on Turning Points in Human Rights
South African Society for History Teaching Conference, University of Kwazulu Natal, Edgewood, Pinetown, 21-22 September. Rob Siebörger, 2007
- Exploring identity and citizenship through an academic exchange
History Educators’ International Research Network Conference, University of Marmara, Istanbul, 10 – 12 September.
Gordon Roberts (Department of Educational Sciences and Teacher Education University of Oulu, Finland) and Rob Siebörger, 2007
- History Educators International Research Network Conference (HEIRNET) 25-27 April 2006 Conferernce report
- The History Curriculum in Three Countries – Curriculum Balance, National Identity, Prescription and Teacher Autonomy: The Cases of England, New Zealand and South Africa
International Journal of Historical Learning, Teaching and Research, Volume 7 Number 1, January.
Robert Guyver 2007
- In the beginning.... Where to start in history teaching?
[Planning in history teaching: beginning with content knowledge rather than outcomes and assessment standards] South African Society for History Teaching Conference, North-West University (Potchefstroom), 21-22 September. Published in Yesterday and Today, 1, May 2007, 161-172. Rob Siebörger, 2006
- Teachers as memory makers: Testimony in the making of a new history in South Africa
International Journal of Educational Development, vol.26, no4 [Education Policy and Practice in Post-Apartheid South Africa - Ten Years of Democratic Change] Sarah Dryden-Peterson and Rob Siebörger, 2006
- Training history teachers for a new curriculum: The Turning Points experience
History Educators’ International Research Network Conference, University of Cape Town, 25-27 April. Rob Siebörger, 2006
- From Narrative to Severed Heads: The Form and Location of White Supremacist History in Textbooks of the Apartheid and Post-Apartheid Eras. A Case Study Peter da Cruz, 2005
- History teaching in the Revised NCS Social Sciences: Doing HISTORY Teacher’s Guide
Rob Siebörger, Gail Weldon and Jacqui Dean, 2005. Avaliable from Edumedia is the video/DVD, Doing HISTORY, that accompanies it. (See Intermediate and Senior Phases: Social Sciences.)
- 'What Do They Make of Ten Years of Democracy?' Researching the Identity and Skills of Grade 9 History Pupils in Cape Town Schools
International Journal of Historical Learning, Teaching and Research Vol. 5 no 1
Rob Siebörger, 2005
- ‘Values in a changing curriculum’. In Mc Cully, Alan and O’Neill, Cliff (ed.) Values in History Teacher Education and Research. Lancaster: History Teacher Education Network
Rob Siebörger and Jacqueline Dean, 2002
- History and the emerging nation: The South African experience. International Journal of Historical Learning, Teaching and Research. Vol. 1, no 1, 39-48
Rob Siebörger, 2000
- Mirror of a Nation in Transition: History Teachers and Students in Cape Town Schools
Sarah Dryden-Peterson, 1999
- 'A Place Behind Time.' The New History in Primary Schools in England
. MPhil disseration, University of Exeter. A study of history in the curriculum of the primary school, by means of ten small cases studies including teacher interviews and a pupil questionnaire.
Rob Siebörger, 1991