Prof Pam Christie
Interests: sociology of education; education policy; school organisation and change; ethics and social justice in education.
Member of the University of the Witwatersrand UNESCO Chair Forum on Teacher Education for Diversity and Development.
Research and Publications
- Alhuwalhia, P., Atkinson, S., Bishop, P., Christie, P., Hattam, R. & Matthews, J. (2012) Reconciliation and Pedagogy: Postcolonial politics London: Routledge.
- Christie, P. & Potterton, M. (Eds.) (2010) Leading South African Catholic schools in the 21st century. Johannesburg: Catholic Institute of Education.
- Christie, P. (2008) Opening the Doors of Learning: Changing schools in South Africa. Johannesburg: Heinemann.
- Hayes, D., Mills, M., Christie, P. & Lingard, R. (2006) Teachers and Schools Making a Difference: productive pedagogies and productive performance. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Lingard, B., Hayes, D., Mills, M. & Christie, P. (2003) Leading Learning: Making hope practical in schools. Maidenhead: Open University Press. (Translated into Chinese, published by McGraw Hill Education)
- Jansen, J. & Christie, P. (Eds.) (1999) Changing Curriculum: Studies in Outcomes-Based Education in South Africa. Johannesburg: Juta.
- Christie, P. (1990) Open Schools: Racially Mixed Catholic Schools in South Africa 1976?86. Johannesburg: Ravan Press.
- Christie, P. (1991) The Right to Learn: The Struggle for Education in South Africa. Johannesburg: SACHED/Ravan. Revised and Expanded Edition (reprinted 1992, 1994, 2006).
- Sidhu, R., Taylor, S. & Christie, P. (2011) Schooling and Refugees: Engaging with the complex trajectories of globalization. Global Studies of Childhoood.
- Christie, P. (2010) The complexity of human rights in global times: the case of the right to education in South Africa. International Journal of Educational Development. 30, 3-11.
- Christie, P. (2010) Landscapes of leadership in South African schools: mapping the changes. Educational Management, Administration and Leadership, 38(6), 694-711.
- Hoadley, U., Christie, P. & Ward, C. (2009) Managing to learn: instructional leadership in South African secondary schools. School Management and Leadership.
- Christie, P. & Sidhu, R. (2006) Governmentality and ‘fearless speech’: framing the education of asylum seeker children in Australia. Oxford Review of Education, 32(4), 449-465.
- Christie, P. (2006) Changing regimes: governmentality and education policy in post-apartheid South Africa. International Journal of Educational Development, 26, 373-381.
- Christie, P. (2005) Education for an ethical imagination. Social Alternatives, 24(4), 39-44.
- Christie, P. (2005) Towards an ethics of engagement in education in global times. Australian Journal of Education, 49 (3), 238-250.
- Fleisch, B. & Christie, P. (2004) Structural change, leadership and school effectiveness/ improvement: perspectives from South Africa. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 25(1), 95-112.
- Hayes, D., Christie, P., Mills, M., & Lingard, B. (2004) Productive leaders and productive leadership: schools as learning organisations. Journal of Educational Administration.
- Christie, P. and Limerick, B. (2004) EDITORIAL OVERVIEW. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 25:1, 3 - 6.
- Lingard, B. & Christie, P. (2003) Leading theory: Bourdieu and the field of educational leadership. International Journal of Educational Leadership, 6(4), 317-333.
- Christie, P. & Sidhu, R. (2002) Responding to globalisation: refugees and the challenges facing Australian schools. Mots Pluriels, 21, May. 11pp.
- Christie, P. (2001) Improving School Quality in South Africa: A study of schools that have succeeded against the odds. Journal of Education, 26, pp. 40-65.
- Christie, P. (1998) Schools as (dis)organisations: the ‘breakdown of the culture of learning and teaching' in South African schools. Cambridge Journal of Education, 28(3) pp. 283-300.
- Christie, P. (1997) Global Trends in Local Contexts: a South African perspective on competence debates. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 18:1, 55 - 69.
- Christie, P. (1995) Transition tricks? Policy models for school desegregation in South Africa, 1990-94. Journal of Education Policy, vol. 10, no 1, pp.45-55.
Selected reports and presentations
- Christie, P. (2012) Framing the field of affordances: space, place and social justice in education in South Africa. Paper prepared for the international seminar on Space, Place and Social Justice in Education, Manchester Metropolitan University, 13 July 2012.
- Christie, P. with Sullivan, P., Duku, N. & Gallie, M. (2010) Researching the Need: School Leadership and Quality of Education in South Africa. Report prepared for Bridge, South Africa and ARK, UK.
- Wits School of Education (2009) Implementation of the National Curriculum Statement in the Foundation Phase. Report presented to the Gauteng Department of Education. Writers: F. Faller, P. Christie, L. Excel, V. Linington.
- Christie, P., Butler, D., & Potterton, M. (2007) Report of the Ministerial Committee on Schools that Work. Republic of South Africa: Department of Education