Prof Peter Kallaway
Research Associate, School of Education ,UCT
Interests: The history of education in South Africa and British colonial Africa - the interaction between missionary educators, philanthropists and colonial governments with regard to the development of educational policy in colonial Africa in the inter-war years; vocational education in Africa; teacher Education; history education in high schools; globalization and educational policy in South Africa since 1994.
- 2016 with Rebecca Swartz) Empire and Education: Colonial Education in Africa (New York: Peter Lang, 2016).
- 2015 “The Rise of National Education Systems : Africa,” in John L Rury & Eileen H, Tamura (eds.) Oxford Handbook of History of Education, (Oxford, Oxford Handbook Series) (Oxford, OUP forthcoming 2015).
- 2015 “The Challenge of a Critical History of Education for South Africa,” in Labby Ramrathan, Lesley Le Grange & Philip Higgs (eds.) Educational Studies for Initial Teacher Development, (forthcoming 2015).
- 2015 “Diedrich Westermann and the ambiguities of colonial science in the inter-war era,” (under review - Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History).
- 2015 “Volkskirche, Völkerkunde and Apartheid: Lutheran Missions, German Anthropology and Science in African Education,” in Hanns Lessing, Tilman Dedering, Jürgen Kampmann & Dirkie Smit (eds.) Contested Relations: Protestantism between Southern Africa And Germany from the 1930s to the Apartheid Era, (Wiesbaden, Harrassowitz Verlag, 2015).
- 2015 Review of Caroline Davis, Creating Postcolonial Literature: African Writers and British Publishers: London, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013): Journal of Southern African Studies, 41 (2) (2015): 425-429.
- 2015 “Education, Health and Social Welfare in the late Colonial Context: The International Missionary Council and Educational Transition in the Inter-War Years with specific reference to colonial Africa,” History of Education 38 (2) (2009): 217-246.
- Selected by editors for REPUBLICATION in David Crook & Diedre Rafferty (Eds.) book on the 40th Anniversary of the journal History of Education: Themes and Perspectives (Routledge: 2013).
- 2014 A Story in Photographs: Don Kallaway’s War Journey: Part 1: Egypt, Palestine and Lybia, Military History Journal 16(3) (June): 103-07 Part II: Italy, 1945, Military History Journal 16(4)(December): 127-31.
- 2012 “Science and policy: Anthropology and Education in the British colonial Africa in the inter-war years,” Pedagogical Historical, 48(3): 411-430).
- 2011 “Historical Trends in Overseas Scholarship Funding in Southern Africa prior to 1994,” Norrag News, 45, Special edition on The New Politics of Overseas Scholarships & Awards? : Old and New Providers: East & West, North & South. NORRAG website, www.norrag.org
- 2011 “Adapting to African Realities versus International Outcomes, ”A paper presented at a conference in honour of Prof Michel Carton, Graduate School of International and Development Studies, Geneva,and published as Conference Proceedings as part of a collection entitled Knowledge, Skills and Development: Global Frameworks and Local Realities in Higher and Technical Education. See NORAG Website (www.norag.org) (2011)
- 2011 Review of Cynthia Kros, The Seeds of Separate Development: Origins of Bantu Education (Pretoria, UNISA. 2010) in South African Historical Journal, June 1911.
- 2010 “Civic education in the context of South Africa’s history and political struggles,” Southern African Review of Education, 16 (1): 15-38.
- 2008 “Education, Health and Social Welfare in the late Colonial Context: The International Missionary Council and Educational Transition in the Inter-War Years with specific reference to colonial Africa,” History of Education.
- 2008 with Crain Soudien, “Education in Africa”: Contribution to the International Encyclopaedia of Education (London, Routledge References).