Research Ethical Clearance
Guide to Conducting Research
Please read the steps below before submitting the application online.
1. Read the UCT code of ethics; the School of Education Research Ethics document as well as the application form (available on the SoE website under resources.
2. Meet with your supervisor to discuss ethical issues and requirements in relation to your proposed research.
3. Complete the UCT Ethics application form, draft information sheets and consent letters to your supervisor’s satisfaction. Your supervisor is the first reviewer of your application and must sign your form along with you before you submit it.
4. Submit the following documents:
- Completed research proposal
- Completed UCT SoE Ethics application form
- Information letter for participants
- Consent form/s for participants e.g. information sheet and consent form
- Copies of interview questions (or guide) if appropriate
- Copy of questionnaire (if appropriate)
- Supervisor's acceptance form
5. Submit application ONLINE.
NOTE: If you are conducting research in a government school that falls under WCED, you will need to get ethical clearance from the School of Education BEFORE making that application.
Applications must be submitted online. For queries, please contact A/Prof Joanne Hardman (Joanne.email@example.com) Or and Thembakazi.Rala@uct.ac.za